This school year more than $1 million will be distributed to New Haven Promise scholars. Next year it will be closer to $2 million. But not even a dime will go to those who don’t take that first 10-minute step. It’s so easy it can be done on a phone, so Class of 2015 apply today. You’ll be happy you did tomorrow.
• A great way to stay atop the latest from New Haven Promise is to follow us on Facebook, which is linked above. There we post frequent tips and news as well as share all the need-to-know information about securing a Promise scholarship.
• In addition to the New Haven Promise Scholarship, federal aid — through the FAFSA program — makes college affordable. Promise is involved in bringing College Goal Saturday to New Haven to help parents and students in that process. It is very important and more information is available at the link above. Save the date — Sat., Jan. 24, starting at 1:30 pm at Gateway Community College!
• The Promise application is to be completed by the student and signed off by a parent or guardian. We will need accurate emails for both and we will verify. Failing to fill the application properly could jeopardize a scholarship.
New Haven students who are admitted to and enroll in a Connecticut in-state public 2- or 4-year college or university and who meet the following residency, civic behavior, and academic performance criteria:
• Be a New Haven resident and attend New Haven Public Schools or approved public charter schools in the City of New Haven;
• Have a positive disciplinary record;
• Complete the community service requirement;
• Achieve 90% attendance or better during high school (grades 9-12);
• Achieve a cumulative 3.0 grade point average (GPA)** or better upon graduation from New Haven public schools; and
• Maintain a 2.0 GPA during the years s/he is enrolled in post-secondary education to college.
** There is also a competitive Passport to Promise scholarship for students who finish below the 3.0 threshold, yet have a minimum 2.5 GPA while in high school. All other requirements must be met. The application for Passport is included within the regular application.